March 05, 2008

pinkalicious

My fingers are stained, my clothes are thankfully not. The pinkalicious pictures will be towards the end of the post. I have been busy painting fabric and it's been oodles of fun. I received my expected rejection letter from Visions on Monday and that threw me into painting, I just had to do it. And today I received an emailed rejection from the Atlantic Center for the Arts, so I went and painted some more...
I have started work on the third piece in my Derevnya/Russian Fairytale Village series. Here are a few pictures in action. After I fused the different pieces of layered sheers, I sketched on them with Neocolor water-soluble pastels, which I then squirted with water, really drowned.. let dry and ironed the next morning.Those are assembled on the design wall and I'll started free-hand machine embroidering them next. (Kinda neat the sunlight through the window shadows on the window drawings huh? didn't plan on those...)

But first I had to get all the painting out of my system. I have a vision in my head of an abstract composition that I would like to do. I did a doodle of it in my sketchbook, but not only would it not be understood by anyone other than me, it will also probably look nothing like it when its done. So I won't even bother with showing that, instead here are pictures of the fabric I have been painting for it. Oh and it will not be pink when done... this is just the beginning. I layered poplin, then organza and then dryer sheets on the painting table, got everything soaking wet and went to town with a huge brush. IT WAS FUN! here's the whole wet sopping mess..
This is the poplin when dry... This is the organza when dry, ain't it pretty, maybe I should make Easter dresses instead? Nah, not a chance.. Here's a stack of dryers sheets.. and here's the organza back on the painting table getting it's next treatment.. no more pinkalicious...

4 comments:

Kristin L said...

Wow -- if rejection letters always send you into such a creative frenzy you should get more. Just kidding, since so much creative work will surely result in acceptance letters down the line. I can't wait to see the pinkalicious transformation.

sukipoet said...

Sorry about the rejection letters. They are always a stab to the heart. As a writer, I have received many through the years. But, I also had two books accepted for publication (years ago now). The important thing is too keep putting your things out there for the world to see and wonderful things will come your way.

How is your show opening?

I love the pinks. I have been using pink for some reason myself in a couple of altered books and I am not a pink person. Though it is a spring color. Thanks for showing this process, which is marvelous. I esp love the photo of all the wet cloth. Yum.

PaMdora said...

I got one of those thin letters from Visions too. But you're a lot better than me, because you started making more art!

Anonymous said...

Who did you apply to work with at the atlantic center? I know some folks who went in the past and it really depends on the artist, some of them have picked people they know. Keep trying!