January 05, 2009

journal sketches

Here are my first four sketches in the aforementioned red sketch book. 1-01-09 1-02-09 1-03-09 1-04-09

I have been doing a sort of intuitive flow sketching, you know just plain doodles... there's still so much going on here: Russian Orthodox Christmas on Wednesday (yep last minute shopping!), Russian school play costumes (yep last minute sewing!), art to send out, art to complete, kids back to school, family to feed... nothing new but my head feels like blowing up so I need to keep these first journal tryouts simple, thus plain doodling. Ahhh, I just love making up my own rules!

Oh and here's the sketch book itself. Here's how it started (I picked it on sale at Anthropologie at least two years ago)
and here's what I did to it before New Years. Red acrylic paint slathered on liberally...

6 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

All your sketches could be quilted works of art as well. The book looks interesting. Will look for next steps!

jane dávila said...

These look fantastic! It's such a neat concept, I can't wait to see how it develops.

And of course, the altered book is marvelous too.

jane

my croft said...

The first rule always is be gentle with yourself. (the others are: start where you are, use what you have, do what you can. courtesy of, I tink, Teddy Roosevelt)

The doodles are sumputous and that red is gorgeous.

sukipoet said...

I just love that fat notebook and the way you altered the cover and ends of the pages. The top sketch especially looks so much like your little quilt journals.

Vivien Zepf said...

These look great! If these are "just" doodles, I can't imagine what the more complex sketches will look like! wow!

Fun idea to paint the book. I like it much better this way.

PaMdora said...

So now can you call it "the book I red" ??? haha :)