Monday, October 19, 2009

journal sketches

Once again it's been quite sometime since I have posted my journal sketches. The good news is that I have been keeping up with them pretty well. The bad news is that as I am nearing toward the end of the year (can you believe it!!!) I am feeling a bit tired of the self imposed sketch orders. I am already thinking of what I should and should not do next year...
Here the round up of some of my favorites..

I did geometric abstractions...
waves and swirls....
figure sketches...Hawai'i was well represented..and of course autumn is here now... So here's what I am thinking about for next year... Plenty of ideas have already been tossed aside and here are a few I am still contemplating.
~First is to take the year off from journaling of any kind. Gasp!
~Second is to do monthly journal quilts and just sketch casually but regularly.
~ and third..weeeelllll....I just don't know....I am open to suggestions, anyone have any good ideas out there?? I would welcome them...


7 comments:

my croft said...

How about renga -- the poetic form in which one person starts a poem and others add to it successively. After two years (three years?) of solitary journaling, something like a visual conversation might be inspiring. I don't know if you have someone(s) you'd like to have this kind of ongoing exchange with (and can rely on to stick it out, it does get a little wearing), but the few exchanges I've done have been rewarding.

Kristin L said...

How about weekly collages in your sketchbook? (Or has that been tossed already?)

I'm happy to see those funny orange brushstroke aliens again. ;-)

Karen L R said...

Natalya,

This is a wonderful batch! I especially love your use of color.

I have been pondering what I might like to try...you (and Elin) have inspired me to make a commitment to some sort of ongoing creative project. I think the discipline would be a good thing. Still thinking about what to do....

Vivien said...

Have you found these exercises worthwhile? If so, then maybe doing them less frequently will make them seem less onerous. I think Jeanne Williamson switched to once a month.

sukipoet said...

these are so lovely and nice to have to look back through for ideas. I agree w/whomever said maybe cut back and just sketch once a month or now and again rather than having a demanding schedule.

Judy Alexander said...

I have tried journaling and never make it past a couple of pages. I never do well creating when I feel I am being 'forced'. What is your motivation for having a journal and how important is that to you? Maybe less would be more....

Gina said...

Your journal pages are wonderful. I am a fairly new follower but I'd agree on not stopping with the journals altogether. Just journal less often; no set times just as motivated.