June 27, 2010

june diptych

How did we get to the end of June already??? Time is flying by so fast I feel like I'm running behind trying to catch it by the tail....
At least I managed to get my June diptych journal done in time! This is the sketch from last year that I started with. I was playing with pictures of wrought iron fences in Photoshop, printed out an image, ripped and glued it into my journal and colored with a marker. Having recently taken a wet felting workshop I wanted to try wet felting for a journal. Here are my possible ingredients laid out on the already painted canvas boards. There is wool roving there, yarn, dryer sheets, silk scraps and sari ribbon.And here they are assembled on bubble wrap ready for felting. Here's a luscious close up. An in progress shot with one of the diptychs rolled around a rolling pin. (I never bake anymore with a great French bakery down the road, so I'm sure my rolling pin is happy to be used for something creative again!) This is what the rolled diptych looked opened. Here's the other after some more manipulations. Another luscious closeup. Here they both are, rather wet, but done. At this point I decided to layer them on pieces of tear away stabilizer and machine stitch the fence lines with thick silk thread.Then I went through a few alterations for the canvas boards, as I did not like the way they looked plain. I was sure I was going to like the bubble wrap stamped version, but it was quite underwhelming in reality. But after several layers of paint and almost starting over, I was finally happy with the final textural background. What do you think? Not sure that I'll do July diptych in wet felting, but I'll definitely revisit it again.

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love the original fence from your journal. The rolling pin is a great idea for small pieces of nuno - thanks for the tip. I would like to see the final diptych in person. Seems very textural.

Kristin L said...

Nice variation on the theme.