May 15, 2011

textural inspiration

The other day Vivien and I had the opportunity to go to the opening reception for the Quilts: Masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum Part II. For me these venerable old beauties are all about the details and texture. Oh how badly I wanted to touch them! No worries, I didn't... But here are some pictures to just try and show you all the visual excitement I experienced. Sadly the museum building has been sold to MOMA and the future is uncertain... If you are close by, I highly recommend seeing the exhibit.
Diamond Four Patch in Cross by Lureca Outland

Soldier's Quilt
Sarah Ann Garges Applique Bedcover
Hawaiian Flag Quilt by mother of Minna Ferguson
Yuen No Akari: Light From Far Away Space by Setsuko Obi

3 comments:

rossichka said...

Very beautiful quilts! Such sense of composition and using colours. This craft has no traditions in Bulgaria, but some years ago I was so interested in it, that I followed for quite a long time a blog, which revealed for me the art of creating and sewing quilts. I even ordered a book from the USA. I dream of making my first attempts as soon as I learn how to use my new sewing machine and have more free time...:)

Kristin L said...

Such wonderful details. I love them all! Thanks for sharing.

Bozena Wojtaszek said...

It's funny, because in the light of avoiding (by quilt artists) to be associated with "your grandma's quilts" I wouldn't mind to inherit stuff like this from my grandma:) It has more art in itself than some contemporary beauties. Thanks for sharing!