April 14, 2014

unexpected abstraction

Quite unexpectedly I created an artwork of abstraction. I've done this once before (and realized that for some bizarre reason I never shared it here), but it was much more deliberate last time. This time it just kind of flowed out of me. They do say that art is therapy, so perhaps I work working on my inner demons... heh..

The challenge was to create a work of opposites for an exhibit with my fiber arts group. Wide ranging subject that can be interpreted in a myriad of ways and I can't wait to see what everyone else has done. I chose what I thought was the straight and narrow interpretation - black and white. I wanted to create an architecturally inspired grid and do it in black on one side and white on the other of this reversible piece. The grid got more and more complicated. And then I was compelled to fling some paint on it. OK, not fling, but use vigorous movements with my hands and a sponge. Thus the sides got reversed. Is it still black and white? Which side is black and which side is white? I don't really know.
black detail
black detail
Black. Natalya Aikens©2014
white detail
white detail
White.  Natalya Aikens©2014
Oh and in case anyone is wondering about my materials, it is all recycled plastic shopping bags and rayon thread. Black and white of course. Measuring 52" inches tall and 18" wide. See it in person at the Northern Star Quilt Guild special exhibits section on May 3rd and 4th in Katonah, NY.

2 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Cool, cool, cool! An interesting evolution of your use of recyclables!

Terry Grant said...

Very beautiful! Reminds me, a bit, of Mark Tobey's " white writing" paintings.