April 19, 2010

inspiring weekend or rather 36+/- hours....

What a weekend.....so much has happened, so many people met, so many intriguing conversations... where do I begin?
OK, let's begin with several artists that I met and became friendly with at ArtQuilts Elements reception and conference. There were many more artists there, but with so much going on, I only managed to really get know just a few. And seeing their fabulous work makes me want to run to studio and create, create, create! Which I did a bit of today. But back to the artists! Here's the exuberant Benedicte Caneill. She is jumping for joy as she has just received the SAQA Cream Award for outstanding new artist. Did you know that a rubber mallet is in her repertoire of quilting tools?This Dianne Koppisch Hricko, bet you can tell why I was attracted to her work.. Organza! Printed, painted and stitched, what could be better? I actually met Dianne two years ago at the Philly SAQA/SDA conference, so we had fun catching up. This is fellow New Yorker Katherine E. Knauer with her quilt Katrina. What a dynamic work and a dynamic artist! Then I met a doodle soul mate in Paula Kovarik. She noticed my doodles, I noticed hers.... we'll be doodling together soon I think. This is Denise Furnish standing in front of her Nine Patch. Not surprisingly she won the award for surface design. I wish I had gotten a close up of her work, such surprising texture. Here we have Cindy Friedman, one of the organizers of the exhibit; Regina Benson, another artist to admire: Kevan Lunney, one of my fellow Fiber Revolutionaries with Cindy and Benedicte; and Denise Furnish. Here's Paula Kovarik, my friend, cohort and roomie Vivien Zepf and Benedicte Caneill. And lastly here is yours truly next to my piece in the exhibit. If you click on the picture for a closer look you might notice a tiny red dot....yep! It sold! Woo hoo!!!! Now back to the studio to create, create, create! (OK..maybe I need to make meatballs for dinner first...)

16 comments:

Gerrie said...

Yowza! That would be inspiring. Wow, wow, wow! And congratulations on the sale. You go girl. Nice to put faces to some names.

Dale Anne said...

FABULOUS!
CONGRATULATIONS on the sale - it looks like a FABULOUS piece.

Vivien Zepf said...

I agree -- It was an EXCELLENT weekend!

Sue Reno said...

Thanks for the report and pictures, and congratulations on the sale!

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous show and amazing art works!!!!Congrats for the sale and I am sure that you arrived home with tons of wonderful inspiration- can't wait to see what comes of it!!!!!

Terry Grant said...

This looks like a wonderful show and I love, love, love your piece!

Kristin L said...

Fantastic looking weekend. Makes me realize I really need to get out more.

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow...such a lot of talent.
Yours looks terrific, wish I could see it closer up. Perhaps you'll give us another few photos of it.
Congrats on the sale too.

Marlis said...

congrats on the sale! it's a beautiful piece. and thanks for the report and pix!

geni said...

What a great show and beautiful works of art. Congratulations on the sale!

Norma Schlager said...

Thanks for the report and fabulous pictures. I wish I had been there. Congrats on your sale. Your quilt is wonderful!

Jeannie said...

Congratulations on the sale and thank you so much for sharing the links to such amazing artists! I am going to get a cuppa and sit to be inspired.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow, what a great show. People are doing astounding things with quilts.... (said the ignorant painter.) Yay for your sale!!

Kyra said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of the exhibit - such lovely work!

Sandy said...

Natalya- I sure wish I would have connected with you at AQE- your piece was my FAVORITE one in the show- I am kinda sorry it sold, but happy for you! Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you get up to next.

Ann Brauer said...

Thanks for posting. What a great show. Congrats on the sale.