December 02, 2010

november diptych

Skidding in to the end of the year! This is the 2009 journal sketch that I chose to interpret for the November diptych. This is when I was going crazy with shredding magazines, fingers covered in matte medium and loving every messy moment. I didn't want to get as messy this year, but did want capture the feeling of this collage which was one of my favorites. First I dove into my scrap basket and selected the materials. Then I lightly sponge-painted the canvas boards with a silvery gray and a cadmium red acrylic paints, and started laying out the rectangular swatches. Here's a further progression of my design. This about where, all of a sudden, I realized that I had not thought things through far enough and had no idea how I would adhere the swatches to the surface. (I'll blame that on being frazzled by the start of the holiday season...) Soooo....I cut four pieces of light light pink netting and very carefully transferred all the little pieces on the netting and trapped with another piece of netting. grumble.....Then I put the netting sandwich onto a piece of stabilizer and pinned. Took it to my machine and stitched parallel free motion lines to secure all the tiny pieces and keep the brick like feel. Here they are all stitched and still on the stabilizer. Then the messy part of the project started, ripping away the stabilizer.... my vacuum loves me! Here's a detail. And the final diptych. Now off to start on December....

2 comments:

Valerie Kamikubo said...

yummy :)

Kristin L said...

Nice interpretation. I miss the big white dots from the original though.