November 09, 2007

inspiration and paganism

I wanted to share some more of the things that inspire my art. Above is the ironwork on one of the numerous bridges in St. Petersburg. Below is a mosaic from the Church on Spilt Blood also in St. Petersburg.

This is the interior of St. Basils Cathedral in Moscow's Red Square. It dates from the 15th century. And below is another woodcut that fascinated me at St. Petersburg's Ethnographic Museum.
And here are three close-ups of details from my pagan quilt. I have started using the Shiva Paintstiks® on it and am quite happy with the results. Last night I brought it to the SAQA meeting in Somers for a critique. I was very very flattered with all the complements, everyone was very nice. And I hate to say this, but I was a bit disappointed because I did want to hear some criticism. There are things in this piece that are glaringly wrong, despite me being happy with the general outcome, but no one said a word about them.. OK I'll shut up now... I really do appreciate the compliments....

No comments: