March 18, 2015

new work!

I recently finished new art! I'm so excited about it because it feels like it's been a while since I've finished a larger piece. I shared it on Monday with my newsletter subscribers and today I share it with you.

This piece has a long journey. It started with a challenge for my local fiber arts group, and immediately as I got it back from that exhibit, I cut it up. The first large portion of it became this, three small pieces of it became this, this and this. And now the final large portion of it has become Iron Spine 2.

I love making long stitch lines
using negative space to suggest shape

Iron Spine 2 © Natalya Aikens 2015
And now back to stitching Spruce Street and preparing for Hudson River Valley Fiber Art workshop!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I guess I didn't give a close enough look at it in your newsletter. The stitching is incredible! Do you create a pattern or is your stitching fairly specific spontaneous (? Probably not the right word)

Karen L R said...

The perspective you have created is just amazing, and the texture is too. Your work continues to fascinate me, Natalya.

Seth said...

This really is amazing. I am drawn in completely.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a compelling piece - it fairly pulls me in, whether with fascination or fear I cannot tell. Incredible.