April 02, 2015

I'm back!

An extended, unintended break happened here. Preparing to teach and then teaching and then spring break are all to blame.... I have been trying to ease myself back into the studio routine despite the school break and now I'm going to try to ease myself back into the blogging routine. And a report on my latest teaching gig is the fodder!

Last week for the very first time I taught a workshop at the Hudson River Valley Art Workshops. It was also the first time I taught a workshop for more than two days! Five whole days actually! I have been teaching a workshop based on my use of Photoshop for art quilts for several years now, so it was a real treat to develop it into a longer version. And lucky me, there were only two students, so I got to tweak everything to their needs and figure out how to space the lesson plan best. Of course it will work differently with more students next time, but I have everything in place now.

Due to the luxury of time and space, my students were able to really spend the time developing their ideas and figuring out how Photoshop will aid them best. Here are a few pictures of our art filled days below...
Alison and her THREE! design walls
she got to play with pictures of Paris and NYC
Alison created a very moody work in sheers from pictures of the World Trade Center Memorial and was working on figuring out how to put together pictures of columns from WTC into an artwork
her work space was very busy!
here she is working tiny tiny hand stitches into her haunting slurry wall from WTC
Jane's design wall was very ethereal and magical, she played with pictures of her CitraSolv experiments and her own pen sketches
She created a mixed media work using metal sheets and sketches manipulated in Photoshop and printed on fabric
Jane even free-motion stitched for the very first time and really put the pedal to the metal! Oh and she hand stitched also.
This another finished artwork of hers that incorporated printed paper, dryer sheets and free motion machine stitching
layers of printed dryer sheets get the free motion treatment on her sketched work that was printed on cotton voile
We had a fabulous five day retreat with our lovely hosts Kim and Mark LaPolla. Oh and the food was delish! Thank you!
I got to do a bit of art too in the teachers sketchbook! and in case you're wondering... it's not easy to machine stitch a page while it's still in the notebook....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Natalya, what lucky gals to have your instruction for five days! Looks like you all had a blast!

Giddings Art said...

We are glad you are back! Your class looks amazing! How wonderful to have such one on one instruction! Looks like you all had a great time.