September 05, 2015

saturday snapshot

...or several... This spring I indulged in something slightly different from my usual oeuvre.

In our Russian scouting tradition we have a wonderful little quirk that everyone loves. During the second summer in the older kids camp, they receive their forest name. It could be anything from an animal to a force of nature. Everyone awaits in anticipation and speculates what name they will wind up with. It's a tradition to embroider the name on your neckerchief, or stitch a patch on. I indulged my daughter and her friends and stitched a few names for them.
an arctic fox
a cherry blossom
a lyre bird
a waterfall
a white rose


The hole you see in each one is made with a hot stick from the campfire. It's burned into the neckerchief as they get their name. And looks like I'll have a few more to embroider in the near future...

2 comments:

Brenda said...

What a charming tradition!

Jackie PN said...

I agree with Brenda, a charming tradition indeed! I love your embroidery! I would pick the Lyre bird! Thank you for sharing!
Jackie xx
http://www.creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal.com/