January 24, 2017

annual costume extravaganza

Yup it happened. The annual Russian school play. I didn't blog about the costume-making this year since it sort of happened on the fly and I didn't have time to take photos of the process. I also didn't make as many costumes this year as I usually do, my job was a bit more organizational.

None the less I wanted to share the costumes with you. No animal or fish heads this year, but still plenty of fanciful characters.

The play was Snegurochka/Snow Maiden. It's an old story that takes place in pre-christian Russia. It's been made into a movie, a cartoon, an opera and a ballet. Snegurochka is the daughter of Ded Moroz/Grandpa Frost and Vesna/Spring. She wants to live with the people and feel love. It all turns into an unfortunate love story with her melting in the end after she feels love....
Spring dancing with the swans

Grandpa Frost arrives with his snow minions

Snow Maiden with her father

Snow Maiden with her mother

Maslenitza or MardiGras 

Snow Maiden falls in love

The Tzar and his advisor

the village people

Spring dances with the flowers

4 comments:

Karen L R said...

I look forward to this post each year, Natalya. This year did not disappoint! Sometime I would love to come see a live performance. Maybe next year?

Giddings Art said...

The costumes are always gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Vivien Zepf said...

Lovely as always! Those head pieces are amazing!

Sharon W. said...

Yes, beautiful as always. But I wish you had given us more closeup photos!!!!!